Monday, October 5, 2009

Monthly Asthma Attacks & Holistic Doc #1

Absolutely every video shot of my child has him coughing to some degree. It's been obvious that this kid has some respiratory distress. For the 6 months between the ages of 2 to 2 1/2 my son was rushed monthly to the doctor's or the emergency room with an uncontrollable asthma attack that didn't respond to albuterol treatments. Each visit was the same thing--pulseox readings, breathing treatments, and prednisone prescriptions. After 6 straight months of this I was ready to jump off a cliff, and with winter approaching I was really worried. I decided we needed additional help than what the allergist, pulmologist, dermatologist, and pediatrician were able to provide. And so I sought the help of a holistic naturopathic doctor.

This was our first encounter with a holistic practitioner, and I was skeptical but desperate. She practiced applied kinesiology, which incorporates a system of manual muscle testing and therapy. AK is based on the theory that an organ dysfunction is accompanied by a specific muscle weakness. Like I said, I was skeptical but willing to give anything a shot. I can tell you that a year later when we had the RAST blood testing done, she was right on with the foods he was allergic to.

The muscle testing allows for a very tailored and personalized regiment. He was prescribed various homeopathic medications and nutritional support supplements. Within the first few weeks the skin inflammation greatly reduced. There were times when we could get his skin to clear, but the food allergies were definitely still present. The asthma flares settled down, no more rushing to the ER, although we did continue with the daily pulmicort breathing treatments. It was the first winter when every little cough didn't settle in my son's chest. Come spring my son was looking very good and the asthma wasn't always on my mind. We decided to try to re-introduce his favorite food--broccoli.

Well, the broccoli brought the eczema back in full force. I was told that broccoli breaks down into sulphur in the liver which creates a detox process. I had thought he was allergic to it, but the RAST test claimed he wasn't (and I've learned that RASTs are not that reliable.)  After battling eczema triggered by the broccoli for 8 weeks we were introduced to the idea of alkaline water.

No comments:

Post a Comment