Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Holistic Doc #2 & The Allergist

After the terrible experience with the alkaline water, I needed yet another set of eyes on this situation. I sought out a well-known holistic doctor that I had heard about for at least 10 years. Over the years I've known 5 people who are patients of his. The first thing this guy says when he sees my son is "What the hell happened to him? Oh, alkaline water. I'm the alkaline water guy's worst nightmare. Everyone tries to push these kids alkaline, when their bodies need to be more acidic." He ordered my son off all juice and fruits, especially citrus, recommended Nutiva coconut oil for his skin and to cook with (it has lots of good omega essential fatty acids), said he should eat pickles, and prescribed two supplements (Cal Amo & Cataplex F by Standard Process.) I kid you not, by the next day my son's skin was improving. Maybe it was just timing, but it was quite the coincidence.

That same week a friend of mine recommended yet another doctor. A holistic MD/pediatrician that accepted our insurance. I thought what the heck, it's worth a try. After the thousands of dollars I've spent out of pocket on the holistic ND (naturopaths), I'm game.

In the mean time I had an appointment with our allergist. We had received the RAST blood test report back, but needed to go in and discuss the findings. This doctor really irritates me, because although he's very nice and spends a lot of time with us he just isn't open minded. It's like he thinks things are the way they are because that's how they are, there is no cause and no looking for the root of any issue. He prescribes a band-aid to fix a gaping wound, weather it's another steroid cream or breathing treatment. He just doesn't have the answers I want and need. My main goal of this visit was to get a prescription for an epi-pen. So mind you my kid was looking a million times better by this time, but the doc was so taken back by my son's appearance that he wanted to hospitalize him and wet wrap him. The worst part was this doc's attitude as if I wasn't doing enough as a mother. He has no idea the hell we've gone through. He actually had the nerve to say "I know you think this is a food allergy issue." Which I replied, "No, I don't think it's a food allergy issue. I think it's deep seated in the gut. I'm not sure if it's yeast or what. What do you think it is?" He said he thinks "he's just a kid with really bad eczema." This totally pissed me off! Something is causing this eczema. Every morsel of food this kid eats has him breaking out in eczema. He can not simplify it like that. So I got the epi-pen script and left. The doc wanted to see him within a couple of days. That was 6 weeks ago, we're not going back if I have anything to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment