Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Holistic MD/Pediatrican

A couple weeks after the run in with the allergist, we were able to get in with the Holistic MD/Pediatrician who accepts our insurance. If this works out, what a blessing it would be since each visit to the ND (naturopath) was costing me anywhere from $100-200 a couple times a month.

This doctor specializes in autism and food allergies. From what I've learned, autistics tend to have lots of gut issues. Anyways, this meeting went really well, he spent 1 1/2 hours with us. The best part (besides this doc taking the time to listen to me!) was that there were oodles of toys in the exam room so I could talk without interruption. Within a few minutes of gathering my son's history the doctor said "This kid has a yeast problem." I was floored because I had asked the two previous docs if yeast could be the source of these issues, and both blew it off (the allergist & holistic #2.) I was told we could test for yeast via a stool sample, but in the end we opted to treat him for the condition without the sample. In my heart-of-hearts I truly think yeast is the problem.

I was told to wait a week before starting an anti-fungal treatment, that we needed this time to build my son's gut up with probiotics. Probiotics are the good guys, and yeast are the bad guys. In addition natural antiinflamatories were prescribed--2000 I.U.s of Vitamin D drops, Fish Oil with Borage Oil, and a supplement with Quercetin. After a week he was to start 100 mg of Ketoconazole. If the problem is yeast, he'd more than likely experience some die-off symptoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment