Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Antihistamines We've Tried

It can be a bit unsettling with the amount, frequency, and ease that my child takes medication. I say ease because he just takes the little measuring cup and throws it back without a problem, as long as it tastes half way decent. We've tried a few different antihistamines:

1) Zyrtec--We've been prescribed 2 teaspoons a day to help with the allergies. I don't notice any difference while he's on it, so it's hard to tell if it's working or not. If he does start to get a nasal drip, I make sure he takes it to help prevent the drip from settling into his lungs.
2) Xyzal--It's suppose to the be the same as Zyrtec, but is only available in a prescription. There was a 3-week stretch where I thought it really helped with the eczema, and then it seemed like we plateaued.
3) Benedryl--The good old stand by, but of course it makes him sleepy.
4) Atarax/Hydroxyzine--The doc says this is like a stronger benedryl. I give a teaspoon before nap and bedtime and it really helps him relax and not scratch as much. I don't like drugging him, but there are times when his skin needs a break from all the scratching, A friend of mine has been on this medication for 25 years (due to the itching resulting from celiac disease) and she says it's helped her to become less itchy with less medication.

No comments:

Post a Comment