Thursday, December 10, 2009

Another Allergist/Asthma Doc

I've been contemplating finding another asthma doc for some time now, as I just feel more comfortable having one in my back pocket if ever needed. The last one didn't buy into the fact that my kid has food allergies that flare his eczema, which is totally insane and infuriating. I also got the sense that he didn't believe that I was doing everything in my power to help my child, which is even more absurd. Anyways, I bit the bullet and took my son to yet another doctor to seek a second opinion on his RAST test and to get a game plan for the epi pen.

I really liked this new doc, he was a bit wacky in a good way and related well with my son. He said he's had dermatologists that didn't believe food could cause eczema, to the point that he has invited them in for food challenges to convince them. No wonder there are so many moms out there feeling like they're "the crazy mom", as that's how they see us. This doc however didn't buy into the yeast theory and outlined a simplified plan that he wants us to follow that eliminates the yeast treatment completely. I'll take that with a grain of salt because I've seen progress. He did agree that we should continue with the probioitcs, multivitamin, D3, and fish oil. Interestingly, he said the Pulmicort .25 has now been found to only have a placebo effect and prescribed .5. However, my son does very well on .25 and I'm not feeling inclined to increase his dosage at this time. The new doc also prescribed Atopiclair Cream which seems to reduce the redness and dryness in the two days that we've used it, and he recommended Elidel which I've been hesitant in the past to use but will try it for a few days to give the Desonide steroid cream a break. As for the black-box cancer warning with the Elidel, he clearly said it was overrated and felt comfortable prescribing it. As for a steroid cream, he recommends Fluticasone as it's the only one that has been tested and approved by the FDA for children.

The new doc explained that we could do food challenges in the office to "clear foods." This means that if my son didn't have a reaction, then we can add it back to his diet to increase the variety of food and nutrition. However I'm leary of this technique due to the fact that I know my son can have one glass of milk and appear fine, it's after 2 or 3 glasses that his skin turns into gritty sand-paper and the eczema flares. So knowing this, why would I allow my son to ingest certain foods? How do we know that an internal reaction/irritation is not being caused before we see it externally? With all that we have going on, I want to take it slow and am not ready for food challenges. Tomorrow starts our first Naet treatment, which I'd like to see through before pursuing another course of action.

No comments:

Post a Comment