Monday, October 25, 2010

Taking a Break

We're taking a break from our hectic everyday life and heading out of town for some fun.  We all need some mental rejuvenation in our quest to extinguish eczema, although it's impossible to really escape it at least we won't be running to and from doctors.  I got a glimpse last night as to what it would be like to not have to deal with the horrendous itch that rears it's ugly head at bedtime most nights.  My kid fell asleep in the car and never woke back up.  I had three hours to myself without him screaming how itchy he is and how he needs cream and oil rubbed onto his forehead and eyebrows.  I know some of it's a ploy to get mom's attention and for him to stay awake a bit longer, but I also know he does have a medical condition.  I keep telling myself to cherish this rare occasion, but part of me is so envious of others as this is how it should be every night.  It saddens me that he suffers, and I wish it didn't take such a toll on me as I'm so exhausted by the end of each day.

Enough of 'woes me.'  Our last couple of NAET treatments have been interesting, yet frustrating.  We've gone back to work on eggs and are struggling with them.  Today we had our third treatment for whites & yolks along with certain emotions--frustration, upset, anger, and sadness.  I know I've mentioned this before, but eggs were the second treatment we did back in December.  My son use to have this horrible rash on his torso, basically covered in hives that would not go away no matter how much steroid cream was applied or changes in diet we tried.  And the rash was there for at least two years.  Well, the morning after his first egg treatment the rash vanished and has never reappeared. I kid you not.

Before I knew anything about food allergies, his Ped was pushing me to fatten my son up with dairy and ice cream.  At nine months his first taste of ice cream was followed by projectile vomiting.  Turns out there were eggs in the ice cream.  Eventually he had a RAST test (IgE blood test) done and rated a level 3 for both yolks and whites. RAST tests though can be very misleading, as they deal more in the probability of a reaction--so reaction always trumps any test. Given our history with eggs, I have been extremely reluctant to allow him to try eggs even though NAET said he originally 'passed' them.  But he did ingest some recently by accident, as they were in some soup that I was unaware of at the time.  And the only reason I know this is because he had a little breakout above his eye (his main trouble spot) that made me inquire further.  But that was the extent of it, just a small rash.  So if NAET can get us to the point where every food isn't life threatening, I'll take it.  But I definitely would recommend working in conjunction with your allergist when it comes to testing foods that have been real troublesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment