Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Sun Butter Allergic Reaction

I foolishly let me son try a small amount of sun butter for the first time tonight. I should have been more careful given his peanut allergy, and I should have made sure I had a vehicle in case there was an emergency. Soon after eating a small amount I noticed hives/eczema on his legs. I gave him his bedtime dose of Atarax, but an hour later his chest tightened up and he was having an asthma attack (he was saying 'my breathing's stuck.') The albuterol has helped, and I gave him a dose of benedryl as a precaution. I recall a similar experience with a blueberry when he was about a year old, except he vomited and then had an asthma attack. I'm a little worried that since he didn't get sick on the sun butter, and that the remnants are going to linger in his system for a couple of days.


In searching the internet for similar stories, I did find a couple of children with similar reactions. And I found this link describing peanut butter allergies vs. sunbutter allergies: http://doe.sd.gov/oess/cans/nbulletin/2005/april/bulletin.htm

1 comment: