Thursday, January 7, 2010

Always Be Prepared

I keep a backpack prepared for emergency situations. It contains 2 epi pen jrs., albuterol, a backup nebulizer, a list of current medications, doctor information, and chewable benedryl. Since the meds shouldn't be kept in extreme temperatures the backpack goes in and out of the house with us on a daily basis. Of course the challenge is remembering to bring it. I'm glad I had it last night for our dinner at Carrabbas. Carrabbas is a place that I've found to be allergy-friendly as they'll go out of their way to find my son something he can eat, such a vegetable that's not on the menu for that day.

I informed the waitress that this kid has food allergies, so don't bring the bread. Then she helped me with finding a suitable vegetable to go with his chicken breast. Silly me forgot to say a "plain grilled chicken breast', so as my kid is eating I look over to see hive popping up everywhere on his face. I flag the server down to ask what the chicken was marinated in, in which she replied "just olive oil." Well, I knew there had to be something more so I asked her to double check. It turns out the grilled chicken breast was marinated in butter and flour (although it wasn't fried.) So lesson learned--never assume anything is safe! Good thing I had the benedryl handy, which took care of the hives.

No comments:

Post a Comment